Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Black & White iPhoneography - Photography Editing Tutorial Video


    Here’s another fantastic tutorial video from Guy Yang of The Beginner’s Lens on a subject I’m obviously interested in: black & white iPhoneography, that is, photos taken with the iPhone in grayscale, then intensified into expressive art with selective adjustments (brightness, contrast, sharpening, etc.). Guy takes you through a very thorough step-by-step overview using Filterstorm in this 15-minute professional-level clip, showing how to transform a regular snapshot into a striking composition with selective edits. Note: viewable free for a limited time only.
    iPhone Camera Essentials from The Beginner's Lens (new window)
    "This video is all about editing – in particular transforming some of your less than fabulous color photos into stunning black & white photos, all from your iPhone." via iPhone Camera Essentials
     As a graphic designer for many years, I’ll say it’s still amazing to me how we can achieve these results so easily now with just a few minutes, and app, and a thumb — whereas 5 years ago, this required either a PC running full-on Photoshop… or a dark room and major skills. I elaborate more on this in a discussion about Instagram, and am still very much into that experience, more all the time. See also: Become Popular on Instagram.
    What did you think of the video? Have you explored iPhoneography? Do you think black & white is more enjoyable than color, or vice versa? What tips and apps do you prefer for editing? Who inspires you? Let us hear from you in the comments!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! I'm a huge fan of iPhoneography and a certified Instagram addict. I must admit that I have a zillion camera apps but usually shoot and edit in Instagram (the old version with the Nashville that is universally flattering for portraits ;) ). I have to say that I shoot and edit almost exclusively in colour but I shoot Polaroid as well and just ordered some black and white film so experimentation is on!
    Thanks again for popping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a purist! Respect. I just upgraded to Instagram 2.0 this week, having done so much sans-filters lately, I figured, why not. Though I will probably miss Gotham. But Nashville? Good for you using it with consistency... I could never get into that one so much, but I always liked the result when other IGers did. See you on IG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for following!!! I love b&w photos especially street shots. The expressions, activities, movements and behaviors are better captured in B&w. The feels the moods of the photos are more focused (not distracting by colors).

    My instagram is Greensalapao what's your?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bet! I'm rsmithing. Nicetomeetcha. I think you hit the best point of B&W photography - the moods are definitely more focused. To me, fine-tuning that element is such a great tool for expression.

    And I gotta ask: HOW did you get 3770 followers over on IG?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great video! When I first started college I was a photo major and was obsessed with B&W, but I've noticed since I've gotten my iPhone I've been primarily shooting in color and playing with all the fun filters on Instagram. I'll definitely be shooting more B&W now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting! I'm curious: as a photo major, does any of your schooling translate to iPhoneography?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um that anonymous comment was mine. I don't know why that happened, I thought I was logged in. woops..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess with the iPhone its so easy to just take pictures of everything without really thinking about framing or exposure, and I haven't really taken it seriously. But now, reading your posts and realizing that we can do amazing things with our phones, I'm going back to more serious photo thinking, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I'm just glad you commented, and especially that you're inspired to have some fun with it yourself! You should definitely check out Sion Fullana's stuff in the link above for inspiration — that's what made me think, wow, there could be something to this. Have fun. 

    ReplyDelete