Sunday, February 5, 2012

iPhoneArt.com - the Next Level of Mobile Photo Sharing


    As a fan and avid user of several photo sharing websites for years, I’ve been around the block when it comes to quality of work, features, and ease of use of these online communities, especially as of late with my interest in the area of mobile photography growing into a full-blown obsession (in a good way). Sites and apps I’m most familiar with are InstagramStatigr.amFlickrDeviantArt,Fotki, and now I’m happy to add to that list with iPhoneArt.com.
    I'm a Featured Artist of The Day at iPhoneArt.com
    I'm a Featured Artist of The Day at iPhoneArt.com - A great site, and not just because they feature moi.

    Full Disclosure: They Have Excellent Taste

    It so happens that I have been a featured iPhoneArtist of the day on the site :)which is a total honor for me, considering the quality and vastness of most iPA featured artists. I do this for my own enjoyment and expression, so that someone of some authority sees fit to recognize it as exemplary or interesting to others — well, that’s a huge compliment I’m very grateful for.
    That said, I was a fan of the site well before being featured. The site recently released a companion app for the iPhone, which I find more enjoyable the more I use it. Here’s what I wrote to that effect in my second-ever app review:
    Makes Instagram look like MySpace
    Click for larger view - text is at leftDon’t get me wrong; I absolutely love IG (and loved MySpace back in the day), but I’m digging iPhoneArt as an alternative experience. There are no filters, so it’s up to you to create something artistic either with a solid photo or though editing via other apps. The “popular” page content here is considerably more art-based. And the interface is bare-bones, elegant, just enough. There’s also a fully functional website interface with organization through sets and such. Altogether, I see IPA as a relevant, enjoyable evolution in the mobile art sharing experience.
    Is the app perfect? No. Is the site as feature-rich as it possibly could be? Of course not. But that’s to be expected with any new platform. The features and enhancements will come. But what about the art? Well, now… this is where iPhoneArt.com really shines. It lives up to the name wonderfully.
    For one thing, it was designed by artists for artists, so there’s an inherent elegance to the interface, both on the site and the app. Also, you can only upload five photos per day. So they’d better be good. You won’t find the deluge of mediocre snapshots all over the place and highlighted for their popularity the way you might on, say, other sites. And the whole community there is indeed very creative. Just browse the site and you’ll see.
    Seriously, don’t just take my word for it. Have a look at these screenshots from the app and then go download it and visit the site for yourself.
    iPhoneArt.com app available for free at iTunes
    Galleries, faves, & searches — oh, my! Search in iTunes for "ipa: the mobile art network" to download for iPhone.
    Again, I’ll state: I still love Instagram. I’ll still use and endorse it for general sharing and discovery. And I’ll still use Flickr for mass-scale storage and organization of the bulk of my images. And along with those sites, I now I have a home for the arty shots I’m most happy with, and a growing community of like-minded folk to discover and share with.

    My sincerest thanks to the folks at iPhoneArt.com for featuring me, and for developing such an enjoyable site and app. I am truly honored.

    What do you think? Do you have a preferred photo sharing platform? Do you use different photo sharing sites differently? Is this just a fad, or is this truly opening up a creative world to more people with the rise of smart phones and apps? Let us hear from you in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Richard, Which one is better, instagram or ipa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! Each has features that set it apart. Ipa is definitely more rich with artistic content, while Instagram is great for fast sharing across networks. It just depends on what interests you the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard,
    Interesting post. Ive also become very interested in iphone art recently and agree that its become an obession! Ive put up some work on iphoneart and have an account with instagram. My only comment at the moment is that Instagram is not a pure iphone site and that most of the photos on the site have been taken with extremly high performance cameras and then retouched with powerful software such as photoshop.
    This doesnt bother me but im really interested in seeing people iphone work and therefore at the moment my preference is iphoneart.
    Once again thanks for an interesting post.
    Nik

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting, Nik! I totally agree with you about Instagram showing so many non-iPhone images. And while I appreciate great photography no matter what the camera, I'm personally most interested in seeing what can be produced strictly with the iPhone's camera and apps. I think the limitations are part of what makes it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, Nate! IPhoneArt.com is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] • iPhoneArt.com – the Next Level of Mobile Photo Sharing – 2/5 [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] I’ve been featured as artist of the day there, but as I’ve noted earlier, it tends to make Instagram look like MySpace, since one major distinguishing feature is that you can only upload five photos per day. So [...]

    ReplyDelete