Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Rosy Photo Edit Tutorial


    A shoutout to magicunicorn for recognizing the musical reference here on Instagram. You rock!
    Edit of a photo in honor of Valentine's Day. See below for Behind The Music.
    My awesome wife got some of these for Valentine’s Day (from me), and so I had to get a photo and have some metaphoric fun with the result. Below is an approximate rundown of how this came to be, and some classic V-Day music for your listening pleasure. Whether you have a Valentine or not, get out there andshare the love in whatever way you know how. Apps used: PhotoForge2,LumiereDynamic Light.
    The original photo
    After cropping and creating a heart in the center using PhotoForge2, I added texture and edginess in Lumiere.
    A quick black & white solarization with Dynamic Light, then back to PhotoForge2 along with the previous file for layering.
    Boosted saturation for more red, layered previous two versions and masked selectively to highlight certain bits in PhotoForge2.
    Seriously, there was a ridiculous amount of masking involved. Took a while here.
    And finally, the completed image. A metaphor for what's at the heart of all we go through in love. Ultimately, the reward is there.
    And now, ladies and gentlemen…

    The Replacements – Valentine


    Well you wish upon a star that turns into a plane.
    And I guess that’s right on par.
    Who’s left to blame?
    If you were a pill,
    I’d take a handful at my will.
    And I’d knock you back with something sweet and strong.
    Plenty of times you wake up in February make-up;
    Like the moon and the morning star you’re gone.
    (chorus:)
    Tonight makes love to all your kind.
    Tomorrow’s makin’ Valentines.
    Hey you pop up in this old place,
    So sick and so refined (divine?).
    Are you strung out on some face?
    Well I know it ain’t mine.
    If you were a pill, I’d take a handful at my will,
    And I’d knock you back with something sweet and strong.
    Trouble keeping your head up when you’re hungry and you’re fed up,
    Like a moon and a lone star you’re gone.
    (chorus)
    If you were a pill, I’d take a handful at my will,
    And I’d knock you back with something sweet as wine.
    Yesterday was theirs to say; this is their world and their time.
    Well if tonight belongs to you, tomorrow’s mine.
    Any questions? I know I didn’t cover all the steps, so please fire away below and I’ll answer the best I can. How has your Valentine’s Day been? Did you do anything for or with your significant other? If so, what? If not, what else did you do? Let us hear from you in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment