Sunday, January 8, 2012

Vacation's Vision, Via Hipstamatic


    All photos from Hipstamatic via iPhone
    Click to see more from this trip, mainly in Hipstamatic, at Flickr.
    There’s nothing quite so satisfying for a creative person as executing a vision. To have an idea, see the steps in your mind, then follow through with all of them to bring into reality a concept existing only in your brain… into something you and everyone else can touch and see from then on — it’s a deeply, deeply fulfilling experience in many ways.
    On a recent vacation, I made it a point to document choice moments withHipstamatic — in this case, when celebrating with a beverage. We took off to Cabo San Lucas for a week last month (don’t get the wrong idea; jetsetters we ain’t), and while there I had the vision to capture occasions in Hipstamatic to be assembled in a collage frame upon return. I picked one of these frames up atMichael’s last week (for $12 on sale!), finally wrapped up the printing today, and am thrilled with the result. It hangs on the wall next to me as I type this.

    Is That All You Did on Vacation?

    Haha. Please note that we did many, many other things on this trip, and these are only 12 photos from the course of a week, and adults who have made the informed decision to consume alcohol should only do so in a responsible manner. That said, this vision turned out beautifully by my standards, and I encourage you to do the same on your own adventure, especially with Hipstamatic.
    Have you ever done something similar to document your own vacation or life event? Do you print your own photos, or do you prefer to send off for prints? Ever used Hipstamatic on vacation? What were the results? Let us hear from you in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. As a "sports junkie," up until a few years ago, I used to place all of my ticket stubs from games in a 1' x 1.5' collage. I would even go as far as organizing the collages as one per sport. Now that I'm married, the collages were the first thing to get the boot. However, when we move into our dream home, you'll know the first thing that gets hung on the walls in my basement bar room.

    Sidebar: What's the difference between Hipstamatic and Instagram?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I feel ya! I collect set lists & photos from concerts. The wife was not fond of my mini Hard Rock Cafe, so instead of hanging in the living room of our shared condo, they’re now in the office in the house. And my office is awesome.

    Hipstamatic is a photography app that mimics the experience of vintage cameras with changeable lenses, fims & flashes to create analog-like effects. It’s got a lot of personality, and there is some social/sharing built in, but it’s mainly about the photos. Instagram is more direct, using filters only, is free, and offers much more of the social/sharing/community experience.

    I tried Instagram last summer and have been hooked since. It’s rekindled my passion for photography and image editing. I tried Hipstamatic shortly afterward and was really disappointed, not seeing what the big deal was. But the more I used it, and the more I learned about it, the more fun it became. Now I use it frequently for things like Foursquare checkins, or, as above: arty vacation projects. I see it as one more entertaining mobile photo app, something to pull out of the toolbelt when the time is right. I keep a whole set of my Hipstamatic pics on Flickr at:

    Hipstamatic Fun, a set by rsmithing at Flickr

    Thanks for stopping by, B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great colours going on in those Hipstamatic photographs. I tend to just use the black and white "films", but having seen your colour shots I think I will experiment more with colour.

    Thank you for linking to my Hipstamtic wedding photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, mate! That means quite a lot coming from a professional. I also tend to prefer black & white, but when the occasion calls for color I like the Blanko (general purpose) and Alfred Infrared (bright light) films, along with the John S. (interesting light/dark blurs) or Jimmy (clear w/a nice frame element). Most importantly: have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice collection, and as always, impressive work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] in the pool room. My usual pool chilling usually includes a cocktail, but [...]

    ReplyDelete