Thursday, May 3, 2012

Soul Asylum – Cartoon



Check out this new band, Soul Asylum!

They do this song, “Cartoon” where you can really hear the influence of the Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, and even a little Nirvana/Foo Fighters in there.
Oh, wait. It’s the other way around. This is from 1988. Yep.
I used to watch this over and over after having videotaped it from MTV’s 120 Minutes on VHS back in the day. Thank goodness for YouTube. Enjoy.

Cartoon, from Hang Time:

Now everybody’s looking after me
If I’m dragging by some coat-tail, I can’t see, it’s too dark
But I’ve got to know what’s got the best of me
When the circus that you left goes on parade
In those bleacher seats of fire in your charades, it’s too far
But I’m feeling like I don’t dare look away
Don’t look away
Did it almost make you feel that something’s gotta happen soon?
When you wake up feeling lost in your own room
If you’re crying in your beer you’re gonna drown
If you think we’ll rise above, you better look around, you’ll see
It’s a mountain made of sand crumbling under me
Maybe I’m chasing shadows on your wall
They loom so large but make me feel so small somehow
When you’re chasing your own tail, spinning your own wheels
[Simultaneously]
Dan: On a night when the wolves were all silent, and the moon howled
Dave: And I tried to leave, and I tried to stay, tried everything, tried looking away (×2)
Did it almost make you feel that something’s gotta happen soon?
You’re in the movies now and I’m in your cartoon
There’s a ringing in my ear that’s heaven-sent
There’s a beast out on the ruins
Some broken down lover’s lament
It goes on and on but it won’t go away
What do you think? Are there any acts from a quarter century ago that made a lasting impression on you? Who from today do you think they’ll be blogging about 25 years from now? Or will microchips in our head do the blogging for us? Let us hear from you in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment